Friday, November 27, 2009

my most creative act!!



This year I performed the most creative act of my 40s - had a baby!!! He is a beautiful addition to the family, and such a joy. Being pregnant again, after so long, has had me reflecting on the process of creating- especially the intensity of the first months of a baby's life. I have invested the last 5 months (probably more because I had pre-eclampsia during the pregnancy) in him and this has been good for both of us. It has been intense because he was 6 weeks premature and weighed only 1.7 kgs. What I have learnt is that if something is important to you then you do what you have to to make it work. I breastfed him (every 2.5 hours in the beginning) because it was what was best for him - and I enjoy it and think there is no better way for a mum and baby to bond than that!!! He is growing well - has a beautiful smile and has started to sit - all rewards, showing me that is has been more than worth it.

So maybe the lesson is that any creative endeavour that is worth it will require a whole lot of energy - I will need to dedicate quality time and resources to it to make it work. I have also realised that one needs affirmation - feedback to know that this is going well and it is worth it. This is where the sisters at the Panorama Breastfeeding clinic played an important part. Everytime I felt really tired - (about once a week), I would go in to weigh him, and to have a chat - and they assured me that I was doing wonderfully. I could see it, but having someone with no vested interest say that was very important. And they always gave me useful advice. So having a support system that cheers you on, and gives you support and advice is very important. The rest of the family - Faye, Sente and Victor , and the broader family- have also been great to0 - as have my colleagues!

Another lesson is about prematurity - I think the lesson is if an idea comes before its time, incubate it, nurture it, and be patient. Before too long it will be the right time. Looking at my little one now it is impossible to believe he was premature!!

So as I prepare to come back to work, I intend to take these lessons back into work.

1 comment:

Mark Turpin said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere! And what a lovely picture of the young man!